Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I guess I can put up one more post from Ghana!!!

I'm at the airport! We got here super early since Isaac was so worried about the traffic in Accra. I have never been at the airport 6 hours early for my flight! We killed 2 hours eating lunch and then I was finally able to check my bags. I'm so happy they were under weight!!! I thought I would only come back to the US with one bag, but I bought my mom a ton of fabric so I have 2 huge bags still. Oh well! My connection is in Brussels since it was too expensive to fly out of Atlanta or DC at Christmas time. I'm not complaining now though since they put me in the business lounge with free food, drinks, and wifi internet!!! Not a bad way to end my trip!

It hasn't really hit me yet that I'm leaving Ghana. I feel like I'm just travelling away from Kpando for a few days. Kpando started to feel like my home. I think because the people are so friendly here it is so easy to stay for much longer than 3 months. Well, I could stay longer if I had American food available at all times. I really think that is the thing that would keep me from coming back from Ghana for a long period of time.

I can't believe this morning was my last bucket shower. As annoying as they were, my routine here has been so low maintenance that to have to actually take time to get ready will make my mornings interesting again.

I think the little things when I get back are going to be the weirdest for me. I got so use to seeing poverty that I think it will be hard to see all of the excess we have in the US. One of my favorite things to watch in the villages was the little kids playing. They would play with a stick or an old tire and be entertained for hours. Wise and his friend created a soccer game out of bottle caps and a tiny little ball. It was sort of like bottle cap Foosball. When Wise is exposed to technology he loves it just like any American kid, but he isn't at a point yet where it's completely stifled his imagination or want to play outside. As much as I want Ghana to become a healthier country, I don't want it to lose its laid back nature. I'm afraid they are embracing the worst of American/European culture.

Tiffanie has started a blog too, so if you are curious about life in Kpando once I'm gone please read her blog. I think her perspective will be a little different than mine, so you can see Ghana through the eyes of another American.

TiffanieJordan.blogspot.com

I can't believe I said goodbye to Isaac, Grace, Wise, and Milli for good. I am going to try really hard to keep in touch and to come back to Ghana; however, I can't predict the future. Isaac seemed quiet today and he usually isn't. I guess they really like me. As a volunteer I sometimes forget the attachment the families may make with me since I know my life will change at the end of this. However, for them their life is the same, but the volunteer is no longer with them. I guess it's like how I missed the foreign exchange student a lot after she left us in 4th Grade.

I feel very discombobulated and so my blog post is also that way today! Bye Bye Ghana! Thank you for following my journey with me. Keep following the blog for at least a few more weeks!! Photos will be up soon.

Love, Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment