Today I went sightseeing and shopping! I sound like an American again.
Isaac, Tiffanie, and myself went on a tour of Cape Coast Castle. It was really neat, but it was also a very emotional tour. For those of you who do not know, Cape Coast was where the slaves were held before they were transported to Europe and the Americas. The castle was originally a fort settled by the Swedish, then it switched hands to the Danish, and then the British. The British used it until the slave trade was abolished in I think 1838. The power is out right now so I can't look up the exact year in the guide book I bought.
The tour consisted of walking through the castle with a guide who explained each area to us. The castle on top was a fort which housed the British Governor and soldiers. The dungeon part of the castle housed the slaves. The male area had 5 ~20x20 ft rooms which housed 200 men each. The woman's area had 2 or 3 rooms which housed 150 women each. The slaves were kept in the rooms for 3 months until the ships came to transport them. Obviously, the conditions were horrible so many people died. More died during the 3 months than survived. The slaves did not leave the room once they entered it. Each room had 3 teeny tiny holes for light. There was a tiny drainage ditch running along the floor which was suppose to catch their urine and feces. It was not adequate so by the end of the 3 months they were living in 3 feet of human waste.
When the ships came, the slaves walked through a tunnel in the dungeon through the door called, "the door of no return." Once slaves entered through here they never returned. They have labelled the other side of the door now called the door of return as a reminder that slavery should never happen again. I was really glad to go on the tour with Tiffanie. She got to return through the door for her ancestors!
On the tour they always talked about how when Obama visited the castle, he started to cry. I understand why. I would compare the experience to visiting a concentration camp in Europe. It is not an easy tour, but it is something that should never be forgotten. I very much appreciated one of the plaques on the wall from the Ghanaian Chiefs. It said, "In everlasting memory of the anguish of our ancestor. May those who died rest in peace. May those who return find their roots. May humanity never again perpetuate such injustice against humanity. We the living vow to uphold this." It was the Chiefs way of acknowledging the Africans' role in slavery. The African chiefs sold the slaves to the Europeans.
While slavery is not legal in any country, it is still a worldwide problem. It is something we all need to be aware of and try and prevent from happening. We are all humans. We all originated from Africa as far as we know at this time. Thus, lets quit playing the blame game and just try and help each other. I know it isn't that simple, but the pay it forward method is very effective!!
Tiffanie and I discussed the day in great detail. As much as we like to think that race is no longer an issue in the US, it still is. Tiffanie experiences it often in Texas. People judge her by her skin instead of her character. She tries to not let it get to her and instead treats people like she would want to be treated. She says this usually works, but it isn't fair! Also, the Ghanaians here have a hard time figuring out who she is here. While we are both foreigners trying to help, she has noticed how they approach me first since I am white. Again, it's so illogical. Just because I am white does not mean I have something better to offer Africa than her. We both have similar skills to offer the people.
I hope as we become more of a global world we will end these bigoted ways. I strongly believe racism is taught. Thus, I try to perceive the world as though I'm color blind! Although I am a shy and reserved person, I love experiences new cultures and people. I do not think someones race or ethnicity should keep me from interacting with them.
Okay enough preaching!
Love, Kari
No comments:
Post a Comment