Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Getting My Hair Did


Tiffanie is awesome, again!!!

She made an awesome splint for Richard today. I’m excited because I think he is going to make an almost full recovery. I think when he saw Michael go home the other day he really was trying to get his leg straight. Today, he was only lacking about 15 degrees from full extension! That’s the best it’s been in the past 2 weeks. Tiffanie and I just hope that his parents continue to take him to the clinic for dressing changes. Also, at that time Tiffanie will be able to modify his splint if needed.

I took a photo with Richard. I was smiling and he was glaring in it. Haha! His mother was so excited for a photo, but it cracks me up how they never smile in photos. It reminds me of old black and white photos from 100 years ago when they wouldn't smile. I always tell them to smile, but they never will show a toothy grin. I'm the silly American, I know!

A grandmother brought her little granddaughter to the physio room, today. The little girl who is 8 years old has epilepsy. Unfortunately, it has caused her to become severely disable both physically and mentally. The grandmother is no spring chicken, but manages to still carry her on her back to town and any doctor appointments. The grandmother is getting burnt out. Her daughter is ill herself and cannot care for the two children. What I’m going to try and do is get the grandmother in contact with some of the people I’ve met in Ghana to see if we can get her a wheelchair. Also, since Isaac is converting classrooms into dorm rooms, the little girl should qualify for his school.

The grandmother has to work during the day to feed her daughter and 2 grandchildren. The little girl is left in bed alone all day. The little girl is only going to be left alone more as she ages since she will become too big to carry. From a therapy standpoint, the girl really needs adaptive equipment. She maybe can make some functional gains if she had very involved therapy over the next 2 years, but that is just not realistic in Ghana. Anything we can do to decrease the burden on the grandmother will decrease the likelihood of future neglect and abuse.  

After work I went to get my hair pleated (braided). I’m an official African. Haha! My head is a little sore since I’m not use to having it braided, but it will be good hair to have at the beach tomorrow. I had them tie the hair with rubbers (rubber bands) in the color of Ghana’s flag! J

Before dinner we stopped to talk with the directors of Hardt Haven and United. They are 2 NGOs in Ghana trying to create sustainable programs. While I didn’t learn about them soon enough to really work with them, they will be a wonderful resource for future volunteers through Therapists without Borders! Also, I hope I can work with them on my future trips to Ghana to create more community based education programs on correct body mechanics, stroke treatment and prevention, exercise, etc.

We were watching the news tonight. President Mills (Ghana's president) was visiting the US. They showed his meet and greet with President Obama. It was so funny to me. Obama looks like a white man now. I guess he is just as white as he is black. It makes me understand how the Africans can't understand exactly what nationality Tiffanie is and sometimes call her white. Obama also looks old. When you can't see him on TV everyday, you really start to notice the difference. 

Tomorrow we leave at 4 am to go to Cape Coast! I finally get to do real touristy stuff in Ghana! I can’t believe I just have one week left!

Love, Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment