I can't believe I've completed 1 full week at the hospital! It was a good day. I'm seeing such interesting patients with strokes. I wish I was a better hand therapist. At the hospitals I worked at in the US, the occupational therapists would normally work with the hands. Also, I just do not have the equipment to properly splint them to avoid hand contractures. I guess I will start to get creative very fast. Thank God for duct tape. I have a feeling it will come in handy.
I saw "Aunti" again. I helped her husband 2 man fireman lift her to the wheelchair. Its not easy so the sooner I can get her independent with slideboard transfers the better! Also, it will hopefully give her some freedom. The slideboard isn't ready yet, so I focused on arm strengthening and pressure relief education. I'm really worried about her developing more pressure sores since she already has them on her heel. This education may be one of the most important things I can teach Celestine and Doris when I'm here. Its so hard to heal wounds even in the US with the best medical treatment that I think one here would be catastrophic.
Work was finished at 2 pm today instead of 3 pm since the doctors have meetings on friday afternoons and the families come to pick up their deceased loved ones from the mortuary. I took a little nap because I'm still figuring ways to entertain myself. Then I hung out with Millie some which consisted of keeping her company while she did laundry. I have to wash my clothes on Sunday so she is going to teach me how to wash my clothes by hand!
Today was extra exciting because the plumbing worked. I got to go to the bathroom 2 times and the toilet flushed like a normal toilet. Also, since they had plenty of water, they warmed some up on the stove so we could all take hot showers tonight! It was heavenly. I was so sad when I dumped the last warm cupful over my head. I didn't want it to end. Its amazing how the littlest things can give you so much pleasure! :)
Isaac had to get a haircut so he had me walk with him to town. It was weird to be the only girl sitting in the barbershop. There were African teenagers in there waiting to get their haircuts singing along to the music they had playing. Of course it was hard core rap from the US. It was funny hearing them rap along in their Ghanian English accents. Also, I don't think they understand how derogatory some of the words are even though they speak perfect English here. Of course after the haircut Isaac had to take me to one of the watering holes. He enjoys a beer in the evenings but is sick right now so couldn't have any. He made me order a Guiness and of course forced me to drink it. Haha!! Who would have thought that Guiness would be such a popular beer in Africa.
It is 9 pm and everyone is in bed. I guess since everyone works so hard here, they don't really go out on the weekends like we do in the states. I'm glad my computer seems to be working so I can keep myself entertained until I get tired.
Tomorrow we are going to one of the waterfalls around here! I'm really excited. Hopefully, the internet will work well enough so I can post a photo!!
Have a good weekend everyone!
Love, Kari
Congratulations on your first full week! Sorry to hear Isaac is sick. lol Some of the people wondered if I were allergic to alcohol because I always refused. I just explained it's a personal choice, and they never insisted beyond that. By the way, did you know you can/should wash your underwear with your showers?? It wasn't until one of my last days that Milli found me washing a bucket of underwear together at once. She was as surprised to find that I wasn't washing them in the shower as I was to learn I should've been doing that! That makes so much sense. Enjoy the tallest waterfall in western Africa! It's a beautiful walk. Bring your swimsuit and a towel if you want to wade out to play in it!
ReplyDelete